Saturday, February 27, 2016

When the Miracle congeals into Philosophy

I was reading a blog today with a quote from a man describing how he comes to terms with meaning in a meaningless universe. For much of it, we agree:
“Accepting that not only will I die, but so will everyone I know and everyone I don’t know – and humanity, and the universe itself – brought me a very deep and profound peace. I don’t have to run away from the fear of oblivion. I am not afraid. I celebrate reality. I don’t have to pretend that there will be some magic deus ex machina in the third act of my life which will make it all OK and give me a happy ending. It is enough that I exist, that I am here now, albeit briefly, with all of you. And it’s an amazing, astonishing, remarkable, totally mind-blowing fucking miracle.”
It's in a description from a preceding paragraph where I lose the plot (bolded):
“When you start to think in universal time spans, your perception of humanity must necessarily change. Differences of opinion seem pathetic. National borders become ridiculous. The only thing that starts to be important to me is material reality and understanding how it operates and how matter itself came into being in the first place.
When The Miracle (TM) really hits you, your intellect is non-operational. You haven't formed a philosophy yet -- materialism, solipsism, whatever-ism. When your intellect comes back online, you box the realization into some neat category and thereby lose it. What remains is a cheap imitation. The mind may think it's a perfectly fine stand-in, but it ain't. I'm not telling you this out of dogma. You can test it out for yourself (though it may take some effort).

You may be thinking "Nonsense. Even if I wasn't philosophizing at the time, I've since worked out that materialism is correct, and so obviously it was correct even when my intellect was offline. Therefore I can reduce the miracle to matter, and there's nothing more to explain."

The sleight of hand here is so subtle that it escapes notice just how badly we've cheated ourselves. What you really sought to explain at the time wasn't matter, even if your philosophy can now prove that it was.

I will surely not be able to communicate what I mean by that, but if you have a sneaky suspicion that there's something worth (re)discovering that will never bend itself to your philosophies, know that you are not alone and not crazy.

No comments: